Whitehill Former Pupils’ Club
Made With Serif WebPlus.
Best viewed with Chrome
The invitation letter for 91st Annual Reunion Dinner, Friday 15th March, 2019 at the Glasgow Marriott Hotel have been issued. To reserve a place at the dinner please go to “Bookable Events” and click on “Download Booking Form”, print, complete and return by 6th March.
Whitehill Secondary School on Whitehill Street in Dennistoun in the early 1970s.
Jack House, Alasdair Gray, Adam McNaughton, Ricki Fulton and Dorothy Paul are some of the famous Glaswegians who attended the school. Many other former pupils have had distinguished careers in medicine, industry, academia, law and public service.
In 1883 the Glasgow School Board acquired Dennistoun Academy, the private school that had been erected earlier on the site. It was renamed Whitehill Public School for Girls but soon demolished and replaced by the building in this photograph, opened in 1891 by John Neilson Cuthbertson, the chairman of the Board.
Whitehill Public School's first headmaster was James Henderson, previously the head of Thomson Street Public School. His aversion to turning away pupils meant that Whitehill became one of the most overcrowded schools in the city. Around 1902 it became a Higher Grade School and it stepped up to full secondary status in 1921. In 1967 it became a comprehensive school and in 1977 pupils were moved to the new Whitehill Secondary School on Onslow Drive, built on a site which had belonged to Golfhill Cricket Club.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning